View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Use repeatable reference points on the bike. I do this when talking to new riders about BP at the track all the time. It's one of the few little contributions I can make.

For me it's a checklist that happens almost by muscle memory:
  • Outside forearm on outside edge of tank.
  • Outside titty on inside edge of tank.
  • Visualize the gas cap under your armpit.
  • Outside knee in solid contact with frame/tank (my legs are too short to drive that knee up into the tank recess).
  • Screwdriver grip on inside hand.
  • Visualize back of inside hand brushing your cheek or ear.
  • Visualize sternum pointing at centerline of bike (drop the inside shoulder).
  • Inside toe on the end of the peg, heel driven into the heel guard/on the swingarm.
  • Instep of outside boot on the peg.
  • Inside edge of seat in the center of your unmentionables area.

Not all of this happens at once, of course.

Approaching the corner, the butt shifts and feet get positioned in keeping with need to shift.

At tip-in, torso and shoulder drop and the other stuff falls into place.
So awesome. Love all these points you have touched on and yes, having these done will help you be nice and stable on the bike with your lower body which allows you to keep your upper body nice and relaxed.

One thing you mention is short legs that done reach the tank recess....have you experimented with sitting back in the seat a little bit and pressing the ball of your foot into the peg and lifting your calf up (like a calf raise on the peg?). This small little movement often allows those of us with short legs to drive our knee up a little higher so that it does fit into the tank recess. Give it a try and let me know if it changes anything. I do this to get a more secure lock on....

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote