View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:30 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'd be interested in your thoughts about something, @Misti. About ten years ago I went to Deals Gap for the first time. I had ridden since 1978, always on public roads in the east. I was not used to moving around on a motorcycle, only maybe occasionally shifting inward a little in places like entrance ramps.

The Dragon was something I was not used to, but was immediately tons of fun for me. The first day I was there I learned that moving my body inward on turns made me feel a lot more confident than staying aligned with the centerline of the motorcycle. In just a few miles I was dragging the little side stand deployment lever on my '72 H2.

Since then, by taking my little DT100 roadracer to the Supermoto track, I suddently became aware that when a knee puck touches down, I get another whole step increase of relaxed confidence. Once that third contact patch is working, any anxiety about the turn disappears.

I've never heard anyone else describe the mental boost of weight shifting or knee dragging this way, but I can't believe that it doesn't happen to others.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote