View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #32
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
One thing is that the leader has his head nearly vertical and is hanging off, and the follower pretty much has his body and head in line with the motorcycle.

Of course it's possible the follower is so skilled that the leader is holding him back and he's just sitting it out until he passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
the leader is looking for his next mark, the man behind seams more concerned about what his front tire is running over.
Hahahah, actually I'm the follower, coaching the rider in front. The point I was trying to make is that different riding abilities will determine how much the rider needs to lean or hang off the motorcycle. So yes, I'm more skilled than the rider in front and can get away with sitting straight up and down on the bike going the same speed as him. If I left him and took off at my own pace I'd have to start hanging off.

Heehehe and it's funny about the comments on what the riders are looking at. For sure it appears as if I'm looking at what my front tire is running over but I'm not. I'm watching my student in front of me and if you look closely you can see I'm not right behind him but offset a little bit so that I have an out if he makes a mistake. I'm also looking past him and where I'm heading next and my vision is wide enough that I can see the entire track from side to side, but I see it could look like I'm watching the back of his tire.

Anyway, hahaha maybe not the best representation of what I was trying to explain. At higher speeds and certain ability levels, hanging off is required in order to reduce the amount of lean angle needed to safely get around the corner. I'll address the other comments about stability etc later on....gotta get the kiddos from school
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote