View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Updated some back-end stuff

Non web-geeks can stop reading here.

I've been negligent on updating a bunch of stuff for quite awhile here, so some tech debt had crept up. The server was no longer able to auto-update to the latest versions of things like php, mysql, phpmyadmin, and a handful more, due to pulling things over the years from different repositories.

So for months, when I would hit auto-update with yum or through the gui, it would fail on a number of items with unresolvable dependencies. I want to ultimately update the site software here to vbulletin 3.8.9, from the 3.8.7 that it has been on for years. 3.8.9 provides a number of security and bug fixes, but it also has some new requirements, such as newer versions of php.

I just borked up my other site pretty good by not getting it updated before trying the vB update, so i want to make sure all of the backend is happy here before I take on that update. To do so, I had to uninstall php, php-mysql, phpmyadmin, and even mysql temporarily. Then I reinstalled everything from the most current repositories, and it all came up reasonably happily. There are a pile of little things that then need to be tweaked for the site to actually work (re-enable memcache, reset all php.ini values, reinstall/reconfigure php-pear), but I have a checklist and it goes pretty quickly. And now the end of all of that, when I hit "auto-update", it confirms that everything is at the latest, with no unresolvable errors. And - everything is at a level that should support the update to 3.8.9.

I don't have the energy now for more troubleshooting, so that last piece will be pushed off for another weekend or two.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote