View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2023, 04:12 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in this case I would pull on the wireing harnis enough to get it away from the frame and twist it so you can see the underside that was touching the frame this is where you get wires exposed and short out if you find an area like that Repair it properly and use good insulation for the wires so it will never happen again. if all you have is black tape to repair it with then use a whole bunch so it can't rub through again.... most bikes will have a area that is prone to short out the wiring harness believe it or not ! this isn't a one off problem,... it happens all the time...
the problem with using a meter on intermittent shorts is when your trying to find it
everything is good no shorts, the short only shows up when you hit a bump or turn the handle bars a certain way .... I am guessing because it shorted out when you shifted into 2nd 2 times that it is located near the engine under the seat , just a wild guess I assure you.....but that is where I'ed look... that in the headlight area as that is notorious for problems in all bikes
what your looking for is hard to find.... a wire that has the insulation wore down on one side and the copper wire inside the wire is exposed I've found shorts like that many times behind the headlight in older bikes and by the rear fender and tail light
I think your only hope at finding an intermittent short is to remove all the fairing **** and get down to the actual bike then start your looking intently on the main wiring harness.... if you find nothing then move to the smaller branches of the wiring harness
checking them the full length.... be diligent around any areas that are around hot things like engine head or exhaust pipe....
the big wire that goes to the starter motor is controled by a relay but the relay is powered by alot of battery power.... and usually runs on the 30 amp circuit.....
so check the wire from the battery to that starter relay and just make sure there are no bare spots in it...
this is one of those " hunt until you find it" things.... there is no easy way !
Bob......