View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2021, 11:55 PM   #39
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL....I had to do that on one bike I lowered , I cut it off and just moved it back about 3 " on the frame and up and that cured the problem. don't remember what bike that was though....but it would hit just after the footpegs in close cadence.... and when it hit You'd know it ! it was a definite wallop !
it didn't lift the wheels off the ground or anything like that which is what happened on the 1100cc Honda shadow... it just laid over without warning!
and I would rather not repeat that experience again !
it's been my experience that Most bikes hang in there when something drags
it's odd to have the bike just give up the ghost and fall completely over on a turn... but it does happen, probably because that bike was a heavy Pig ! 800lbs of metal 80 hp and made to go straight ! on the freeway it was like it was on rails no wind from an 18 wheeler ever bothered the bike at all.... about blew me off the bike ,but the heavy thing never even quivered !
..... on my 305 dream I drug both sides many times and didn't think much of it. but it was a ancient machine 1963 or 1968 not sure which, it's been so long ago. cantilever type front end that went over fire wood on the freeway at 65 mph a few times and never bothered it ! ....
believe me you don't want to hit firewood on the road on a bike !
... i did in a Ford Pinto and had to replace 2 rims on the right side !
I've hit 3 pieces of firewood on the highway 2 on a bike and one in a car...
people that haul fire wood should be more careful about stacking the wood to tall that it falls off on the road !!!!
the second one on a bike was a glancing blow, I dodged it mostly still caught the corner of it though.... 3 days later had a flat in the morning !
so I replaced the tire with a Pirelli mt-53 best tire in those days ! LOL....
they held the road rain snow sleet or hail ! had them on both ends of the 305
and loved them.
Bob....