View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #30
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Yeah def wouldn't do that neutral thing. You should use that opportunity to get more comfortable with the gears, not avoid them. Roll off the throttle till the bike hits a low rpm, squeeze the clutch, and pop down a gear, then rev the bike up pretty high (7kish?) and feather the clutch out. Roll off the throttle and repeat (if you have the space and are starting from a high gear). <rev matching>

From 4->3 or 3->2 when approaching a certain stop (stop sign, light that JUST turned red) I roll off the throttle till low rpm, squeeze the clutch and pop down a gear, then without rev matching very slowly feed the clutch through the friction zone (while lightly applying the front brake to light the lights) slowing the bike down before squeezing the clutch and coasting to a stop (if going from 4th down, repeat from 3-2 as well provided there is space) once at a stop, or very near to it, I shift to FIRST and keep the clutch pulled in, ready to take off in a hurry if needed

The concept being that at any given point, you should be able to accelerate as quickly as possible. Coasting in 4th with the bike going 8mph with a light about to turn green in front of you (or a cager up your ass) is not a great way to get out in a hurry. by either rev matching, or feathering the clutch out slowly in lower gears, your wheels are pretty much always engaged (or damn close) to the engine, so if the environment changes, your ready to change with it!

ALSO, I've only been riding a few weeks myself, but I struggled with clutch control early on, and feel much more comfortable with it now. For the record, theres a chance everything I've told you isn't correct, so listen to guys with more seat time, but this is just my experience!

Hope I helped
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote