Old August 27th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #7
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seldom One View Post
There is gas in the air filter, a small amount in the housing and a very strong smell.

I went to remove my gas tank, pet cock in the on position, and it leaked fuel.
Read it was a common issue, someone stated that they solved it by stretching the spring inside it. I stretched mine from.5 inch to .75 inch. Tested it and it worked.

I read that our bikes won't overflow the carb if the petcock leaks, I don't remember the reason. It was mentioned that if it does, there is either an issue with dirt, the float bowls leaking, the float height, or the float valves.

Removed the carbs and the float valves looked clean. They still have a very nice cone shape, both floats drop at the same time and are the same height, although I haven't checked if it is at the Correct height. I read it was supposed to generally be parallel with the carb. Also the little piston on the float valves push in and spring back with little resistance and do not stick. I assume thats how they are supposed to function?

I read in a thread that, "the most common malfunction is a leaky valve (the pushes up but the valve doesn't close completely). Valves can leak due to wear, stock debris, and dislocation from the proper position."

Questions:
Is there something else I should be looking for?

Could where the float valve seats in cause an issue?

Does anyone know of a way to test if the valve and float are functioning properly?
I was just going to submerge the floats to see if the leak.
Check the float height.
Clean the float valves, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:
added a picture of the float valves.

When pressing in the float valves tiny piston, fuel bubbles out, is that normal?
Best way to test those is to put them back in the carb along with the floats. Attach a clean piece of tubing to the fuel inlet and hold the cabs upside down so the floats press those needles closed. See if you can blow into the hose with the carbs upside down.

If you can, replace the needles.

If you can't, needles are good.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote