View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2020, 06:06 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekallo View Post
Hey all

I have an 05 and 06 and both bikes are giving me trouble.
All carbs cleaned, valves adjusted, idle mixture screws adjusted after warmed up. Fresh oil change and newer spark plugs for both bikes.

My wife and I can fire up both bikes and they idle damn near perfectly at 1500rpm.

By the time we get to the highway (3-4 miles and a couple of stop signs) both bikes almost simultaneously are dying without some throttle. A quick idle adjustment by each of us (thankfully it’s easy to reach) and it’s fine. As the bikes get warmer it needs to be raised more.

Once they are parked and cooled down, a restart requires a re-adjustment of the idle or they will be reving at over 5000rpm at idle.

Any help would be great. Do we need to adjust throttle free play maybe?
Both do the exact same thing?

What is the air temp? How old is the gas?

If they idle at 1500 when cold without choke there is a problem. I would re-check the idle mixture settings. Do you know how many turns-out they are now? Have you synced the carbs lately?

Sounds like they are overall running way too rich or the gas is old/bad.

Have you cleaned and oiled the air filters lately? Too much oil can choke the airflow and make it run way rich.

Have the carbs been worked on lately?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote