Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
kkim

Apply a little engine oil to the O ring on the filter mounting bolt, fit the filter cover on the bolt and install the spring and flat washer.

Ninja_Oil_Change_12.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_13.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_14.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_15.jpg

Apply a little engine oil to the grommets on both sides of the filter element and turn and work the filter element into place. Be careful that the element grommets do not slip out of place.

Ninja_Oil_Change_16.jpg

Install the element fence (cap) on the bolt.

Ninja_Oil_Change_17.jpg

Install the oil filter, tightening its mounting bolt to the specified torque. (14.5 ft/lbs)

I wipe the face of the engine case side clean and apply oil to the O ring.

Ninja_Oil_Change_18.jpg

install the completed filter assembly and torque.

Ninja_Oil_Change_19.jpg

After the oil has completely drained out, install the engine oil drain plug with a new gasket. Torque bolt to 14.5 ft/lbs.

Fill the engine to the upper level line in the sight glass with a good quality engine oil specified in the owners manual.

Do this with the bike sitting absolutely vertical to prevent overfilling. Bike holds about 1.7-1.8 qts., but underfill it by a little bit, then run the bike, then top off. It's best to work up to the fill mark instead of overfilling and having to take oil out. Ask me how I know!!

You do not want to run with the bike overfilled with oil. You run the risk of engine damage with an overfilled engine. Please be very careful get the oil level between the lines in the sight glass. I usually fill mine to the upper fill mark on the sight glass.

The only way to get an accurate oil level reading is with the bike in an absolute vertical position... not on its sidestand.

Ninja_Oil_Change_20.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_21.jpg

Start the engine

run engine for a few minutes then turn off. let sit for a few minutes.

Check the oil level and for oil leakage.

oil level after starting the engine and turning it off. see how much it's dropped?

I then filled the oil back up to the upper line, started the engine for a few minutes, stopped it and let it rest again and this was the oil level after doing so.

Ninja_Oil_Change_22.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_23.jpg

That's it... it may look a bit more complicated than it really is, but take your time and you'll be able to change your own oil often and cheaply.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote