Thread: Fuel tank swap
View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_SP View Post
Hey everyone, hoping to find some additionally useful info on swapping out my gas tank. My OEM tank is riddled with rust holes and I'm not to fond of it regardless.

I'm working on a street tracker build and looking for suggestions on a tank that will fit with little to no modifications and also look clean. I know early 80s gs550 and kz650 are supposed to fit relatively well and I imagine going up/down on motor sizes and model years should come close to fitting too. Any suggestions or first hand knowledge of finished builds is greatly appreciated. I'm building on a budget and doing well so far, about to have it rewired, frame loop welded in but I need to order my seat and tank first and id prefer to know what tank I'm using before decide on a seat.

Anyways thanks for the help.
I would look for a tank that you like the looks of, and has the fuel on the left side. You should be able to make it fit pretty easy after that with some changes in the rubber mounts, or some brackets that adapt it to the 250 frame. There are enough cafe kits out there that you should find the parts you need to mount the tank, and maybe just massage the underside to fit if it needs it.

Personally I would look at old KZ tanks, they should all have the fuel on the correct side, and may still have cool old Kawasaki stripes or decals.
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote