View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2022, 08:40 PM   #34
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
My highside wan't about throttle, but brakes. My rear was sliding, and I let go the rear brake when I should have kept up with it.

But I could see needing to give a sliding bike more throttle. Or do nothing.
That sounds like an accurate representation of what caused your high-side and I may be picking a bit much on semantics here but you say that when your rear was sliding you should have "kept up with it."

This might have ended better than the high-side but if you had just "kept up with it" and continued to let the rear slide, you might have ended up lowsiding instead.

What we teach at the Superbike School is to release the brake just enough so that it stops sliding (or being locked up) but that you continue to slow down. Keeping it locked and sliding or releasing the brakes too quickly can both have neg consequences while releasing the brakes slightly should rectify the situation.

Now, I'm not saying this is easy to do, especially for anyone that hasn't trained in that procedure just that it is something worth practicing and can be extremely helpful in emergency braking situations. I hope that made sense. What other techniques can help with emergency braking situations?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.