View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2022, 12:14 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

My Continuing battle with pilot jets on the Triumph

When I put the triumph to bed for the winter I was sure to run the gas real low on the float bowls... by turning off the fuel and letting it run, and it was running fantastically..... a few months later mid winter or so I fired it up and it ran like crap. so I cleaned the pilot jets and like magic, it fired up first kick and ran like a champ....
so yesterday I took the cover off her and wiped her down real good and fired her up... started first kick and then started running badly Pilot jets I thought!
so I shut off the gas and let it run till the stagering point and then killed it.
today I just pulled the pilot jets and ran the cleaning tool through them both and put them back in and gave her a kick and it was running great ...without the choke ! ( it's 73 deg here today)
it continued to run fantastically even down to 1000 RPM
so I turned off the gas again and let her run a bit till she started to stagger and I killed it.... I was thinking of taking her for a ride but I only had 2 hrs of sleep last night so maybe that's not such a good idea ! LOL
.... I have a good paper fuel filter before each carb inlet one on each petcock
and I am wondering why the pilot jets get plugged so easily ???
there should be absolutely no debris getting to the carbs !
could Old fuel do that ? I put it in before I parked it for the winter
and it seems to run fine on that fuel, so does the RX4 ( same batch of fuel)
.... I'd say if it runs on it, it's not the fuel .... but that may not be the case
I dunno !
Grin...that bike makes me smile when I hear it run good ! what'a beast !
Bob.......