View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2022, 08:43 PM   #58
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

OK... an update on the spring thing.... it's still got the 400~450lb spring in it for now...
and I made a lowering link for the rear.... it took me about a week as I am on night shift again ( my sleeping hours are all screwed up) but I did finally get the lower link done and I am pleased with the results ! I went from a seat height of 32" stock down to 29.5" by making a new lower link.... the original lower link on the RX4 has a weird shape to it but I found I don't have to bend the dog bone part of it at all it can fit being straight !
sense I couldn't find 1/4" barstock anywhere I went with 1.25x1/8" barstock...3 layers
cut a center spreader out of a 1" piece of axle shaft drilled a bolt hole through it and then after bolting everything together to make sure the alignment was right I welded everything up..... several screw-ups along the way but the end results is what matters !
the first guesstimate of the hole spacing was way off , but after putting the bike at the wanted height and then measuring the separation needed I drilled 2 more holes and in that configuration everything finally fit ! my original holes were 6-3/8" apart then I moved in 3/4" and drilled another set of holes closer to the pivot and that worked out real good ! ... I can set on the bike now with both feet flat on the ground in my slippers !.... and my legs are slightly bent. it's almost exactly how I had it before but this time I have suspension TOO ! LOL....
it was getting cold out there so I called it a day can I'll finish putting it back together tomorrow and hopefully take her out for a ride!
.... I am hoping that now my suspension problems on this bike are finally fixed....
there won't be any more dropping the bike at stop signs because of the bike being too tall now , so I think it's good to go !
the rear tire has about 3"~4" of travel before it will hit the plastic inner fender well
and I expect that will get tore up over time, but that's the price I pay for a shorter bike and it is well worth it. I think my ground clearance has been reduced to about 6" or so but I haven't measured it yet as I don't have the crash plate on it yet !
.....all in all I lowered the bike 2.5" from stock by making my own lower link.
this lower link does NOT have bearings in it so I am considering buying a lowering link for the KTM 690 as it looks like it will fit ...it has bearings in it. ! ($70.00 on Ali Express)
I can probably ride that bike the rest of my life without wearing out the pivot point down there, so I am not real worried about it. LOL....
later !
Bob.....

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; June 1st, 2022 at 11:56 PM.
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote