View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:13 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
"the pilot jets need to be cleaned AGAIN"

I'd go so far as to add the phrase "and full fuel circuits" to your comment above.

Something additional is wrong as this has become a repetitive situation.

My carbed 900SS Ducati starts/runs/accelerates perfectly after a recent 6 week "vacation", recently documented and linked right here on ninjette.com.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=377234
Yah I know..... it shouldn't be doing this at all... I do have in line paper type fuel filters on all the lines that feed the 2 carbs ( 4 lines, 4 filters)
the gas lines when I cut them and took out about a 1" piece to add the filters look great inside... no cracking or even dirt on them they look brand new so I didn't change them ( if memory serves me correctly,... I think I was going to but didn't) .... last run to the gas station found me pushing it the last 200 yards to the pump where I put in premium and then had to replace the fuse to get it started again.... and then I rode it home...
I started it about 3 or 4 times sense then and every time it started and ran great and even idled correctly..... but not this time... and it probably sat for about 30 days sense the last time I started it... ( probably 3 months sense the fill up )
even if there was rust in the tank it wouldn't be able to get past the fuel filters.....
these carbs have a bleeding plunger to prime the carbs prior to starting
I am wondering if because they are "OPEN TO THE AIR" in that regard, weather the alcohol in the gas is "absorbing" so much water from the atmosphere that it plugs up the pilot jets....( it has rained several times sense it was parked...)
but I seriously doubt if water would stop a pilot jet from working.... would it ?.... it might,.... it's a very tiny hole !
if it were easy to pull the air cleaners on this beast I would start it and slap my hand over the carb throat and suck out all the junk... but the air cleaners take an hour or 2 to get on there right !
about the last 6 times it has done this I just pull the pilot jets and clean them and it works great for a few days.... only when it sits is there a problem.
BUT WHY ? that's the question...
Bob.....