View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM   #159
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
tried 3 washers stock needles. midrange transition to main still not smooth. dannoxyz recommendation is try 1 washer.
1 washer tried. super lean, almost unrideable.
after more consulting we agreed to try 5 washers.
the exploited ninja finally has a decent set up. mids to mains all smoothed out.
still tuning on 40’s, might go back to 38’s.
yes you heard it 100 mains on a pod bike!
stock needles with 5 washers
pilots almost there. been running bout 40 mpg. will update soon
the stock needles were never designed to be shimmed like other needles work with clips. It obviously can be done to help find the sweet spot but once you get over 3 shims the needles do not work well throughout the throttle range.

FP vs stock needles

So you are running pods, are to directly on the carbs or using the intake boot?

You still have the stock pipe and a slip on, that might explain why you are down so low on the main. Assume you have the clean air system removed with block off plate as well.

My bike with pods, full race exhaust ran super well through the throttle range with the FP needles and 108 mains. Your temps seem pretty high compared to what i experience but you are down near sea level so shouldn't be that crazy different.

With that being said, it might not be that strange to be down to 100 mains. It's hard to give advice without riding the bike but you need to be jetting based on how the bike feels at specific throttle positions, obviously there is some cross over between the circuits but there are also several other things that effect the complete jetting of a carb other than just the needle, needle position and slow and main jets. For whatever reason maybe the FP needle is just not working for you, unfortunately there is not a huge data base of needles to tell you where to go from the FP needle as that is what it is and how they make money.

With dirt bikes it is much easier to buy and try different needles, literally a chart of 40+ different needles and what they effect and how.

My advice is put the needle in a neutral position and figure out the WOT jetting. Don't touch the needle until you find a main jet that pulls the entire rev range at WOT. Don't expect a super linear pull (for a ninja250 anyway) the power should drop off a bit past 10k rpm Once you figure out the main, start working on your half throttle position and the transition to WOT.

At this point your main will at least be in a reasonable range, and it might go up or down 1 size as you adjust the needle leaner or richer as needed. change one thing at a time, it sucks but that is the best way to go about it.

If you can't get something that feels good everywhere you need a different needle or there is something going on with the engine, intake and or exhaust

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote