View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #114
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I think you have it backwards, But then again so could I.

Turning the screws out means more air, you need more air because you already have to much fuel (rich). 3.5 turns out is a good bit, are you running the stock pilot or #40? if you have the 40 in I would go back down to the stock #38. if you still have the #38 then I would make sure the needles are seated correctly and everything else is good, vac lines, slides, diaphragm's ect... if that all checks out, give a lower pilot a shot.

Other reasons I think your idle circuit is rich is you say choke kills it. Choke gives more fuel, since you are already rich the choke makes it even more rich and poof it stalls.
other hint, you say if you blip throttle it doesn't stall. By twisting the throttle you are engaging main jet circuit which in the 1/4-1/2 throttle range is controlled by the needle. Therefore getting out of the idle circuit which is to rich and causing the stall.
The idle mixture screws on the Ninja's carbs are fuel-bleeds, so turning them OUT will let more fuel flow and make it RICH. The opposite is true if the idle mixture screws are air-bleeds (like most Honda dirt bikes).

Yes - if you add choke and it runs worse, you are already rich.

Generally, adjusting the idle mixture screw to get the highest idle speed is a good start. There are times when you will want to go slightly richer on that adjustment to help get a smoother transition to the needle.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote