View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2022, 01:33 PM   #28
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Glad to hear it's back up and running! It couldn't hurt to throw a voltmeter over the terminals while the bike is running to make sure it's charging somewhere around 14 volts. If it's only 12.5 or so it will just kill the new battery.
Also, I'm sure many will pipe up on this as well, but be careful jumping off a car, especially if the car is running. It can literally fry the electrical system on a bike. I had a buddy total his zx6r that way... it was a real shame.
I have burnt the rectifier out of a bike jump starting it from a car....
Now I recommend removing the battery from the car completely, or at the very least remove one of the cables to it in the car... do not have the engine running in the car.... that is what got me.... I tried to charge the battery in the bike
with the car.... fried the expensive regulator....
you can pull the bike battery and charge it on the ground in front of the car without fear... but do not do it in the bike with all the cables hooked up !
that regulator cost me $98.00 plus shipping for the 700 honda Shadow !
at a time when I didn't have any extra cash.... it was a lesson learned the hard way !
Bob....