View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM   #44
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
Ideally, I'm looking where I want to go as if I had clear track.

Half the time in the real world though, I'm telling myself to do that and then:
1) I mentally debate if I'll get "there" in time
2) I unintentionally allow myself to take a peek at the other rider
3) I mentally debate if I'll get "there" in time X2
4) ???
5) I do not profit.

Staying focused on my line works best for me when I'm with other 300s. Gauging the potential speed differential for different bikes, especially when I'm unsure of how much the other rider will or won't roll on the throttle, is still a huge work in progress for me.

Haha. Working on it. Working on it.
Hahaha, I love your description of what happens when you approach a rider. The IDEA of looking where you want to go as if you had clear track is ok but when you have a rider in the way of the line you would take if you had a clear track then you get thrown out of whack.

What we teach at the California Superbike School is to try and WIDEN your vision. What usually happens for riders when they approach a slower person on track is that they look at the rider and their vision narrows. A narrow field of vision will not only cause you to target fixate on the rider and follow them but it will also distort your sense of speed and perception. So widening your vision allows you to still keep track of the rider you want to pass with your peripheral vision but also see the available space around them. Without allowing your vision to narrow, your sense of speed is better and you can then judge how much time you have better then if you have a narrow field of view.

Does that make sense? How do you think you could practice widening your vision and passing safely?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote