View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:09 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Here's a fun exercise: Next time you're out driving your car, try left-foot braking. You might be shocked at how inept you are.

I'm old enough to have racked up a million miles in cars, more or less. As with anyone who has that much mileage, my right foot is finely attuned to the pressure I put on the brake pedal in my car. But if I try to left-foot brake... hoo boy. I'm like a kid with a learner's permit. The car lurches and bucks like crazy because I don't have the feel. It's too much, or it's not enough.

Note: Do this in a parking lot or when there's ZERO traffic. Seriously. Your skills really are that bad.

Point of the exercise? To show that with experience, you get a much better feel for brake pressure and its effect on the vehicle.

Fun exercise #2: When you're out driving, be very aware of how you brake when cornering. Try consciously NOT braking when the car is turning and see what happens (i.e. take your foot off the brake BEFORE you turn the wheel). Then try it driving as you normally would and note the difference.

Point of the exercise? To prove that we all know how to trail brake, because we all do it in our cars without a second thought.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.