View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Name: Zavier

Motorcycle(s): -

Just realized I will have a problem transporting my first bike

Most of the prospective bike sellers I will be dealing with will be ~30-50 miles away. Anything closer is either a standard, harley, cruiser, dirt bike, or 600cc SS; which either don't interest me or scare the brown stuff out of me.

On to the real problem. I am currently living with a family member, working from home, and don't have a car to use to visit the seller. I have a scooter, but... yeah... Since I am going to be buying a 250 and those things get bought up like hot cakes, I am going to need a quick way to travel up to 50 miles and carry a motorcycle back with me.

Why carry it back with me and not ride it? 1) I don't yet have an endorsement. The local college that teaches the MSF course has stopped for this year in august. 2) Even if I did have an endorsement, I wouldn't want to ride a new-to-me bike, in unfamiliar territory, trying to remember what little I was taught.

I cannot rely on the family member I live with because she has a usual 9ish to 5ish job, and if I need to meet a seller quickly while she is still working I'm SOL. Also, her car is a company-owned car so I cannot legally drive it, nor can she tow anything, so no motorcycle trailer. Plus, and I REALLY apologize if this offends anyone, she isn't a very good driver.

I have an in-law I can call upon that has a truck that I am pretty sure a ninja can fit into. If not, he might have a suitable trailer. But, again, the typical 9-5 job, plus he is a farmer so an even tighter schedule.

My only thought so far on how to transport the bike would be to rent a u-haul truck and use that to drive down there and carry the bike back. Unfortunately that would be about $100 wasted if I didn't buy the bike.

Is there an option I am missing?
Aldent is offline   Reply With Quote