View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #24
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I think back to buying my first bike. I bought a Honda Super 90. The town I lived in had no freakin' PMS DMS PDQ or whatever motorcycle training courses. The town was about 5,500 people. Your dad taught you to drive a car and really, no one can teach you to drive a motorcycle all they can do is give you pointers and suggestions. Start it, let out the clutch and you're on your own. Have we really turned into such a pathetic bunch of quivering sacks of protoplasm that we have to take a training course? You're not learning to fly a twin engine private aircraft. If you can drive a car and a scooter you can drive a motorcycle.

(SNIP)
Bill
I am a self-taught rider as well (in the '70s), but riding today is more intense than it was back then. More traffic and less attentive drivers.

I had 4 years of dirt riding before getting my cycle license at 16, and that helped a lot. Starting on the street from scratch without any previous cycle experience is a recipe for disaster. There's no time to learn the basics of riding on the street.

My 2 boys have been riding since they were 4, but were still required (by the state) to take the MSF basic course before getting their license because they were under 18. I'm fine with that.

I don't think driving a car and riding a cycle take the same amount of skill, so just because you have driving experience doesn't mean you can ride a cycle proficiently. I made my boys go 1 full year without incident in a car before they were allowed to get their cycle license.

Ticked them off, but I still think it was a good idea.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote