Thread: Oh my God!
View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myates92 View Post
Take a chisel and give it some straight down taps (not trying to loosen) just straight perpendicular force to the bolt head face. They make a tool called an impact screwdriver, try to cut a slot in the bolt for the screwdriver to bite. Try heating the case and not the bolt itself. Check to see if the bolt is magnetic or not, could be aluminum or stainless (not magnetic). Some stainless bolt plating reacts with other metals and can seize if heated or left to the elements. If it’s to far gone, keep in mind what you have to loose... no shame in asking for help. Pull the motor take it to a machine shop.

PS. One last thing, if it won’t hurt anything internally or if it’s not a blind hole, try drilling all the way through the bolt... that will typically relieve some pressure of binding on the threads... then try taking an easy out to it.
Many great suggestions from a bike mechanic that seems to have some real experience with these issues. Unfortunately I also tried all of these without success.

I did many taps-bangs with a hammer and even a punch on the center of the bolt.

I also had the idea to cut a screw slot into the bolt but I cannot get anything, including a die grinder/dremmel. The bolt is recessed into a delta/triangle shaped opening under the bike between the frame and justified to one side right against the frame with just enough clearance to get a socket between bolt and frame. I tried to use a file but since the bolt is steel(possibly stainless) it would take a couple hours to cut a suitable slot unless--------->

I know I can get the bolt out if we pull the motor but with the issues with this stuck bolt, I dont want to open a can of worms with frozen engine mount bolts and other fasteners which may not have been touched since the bike was new.

My next and final attempt will be to tack weld a nut to the top of the stuck bolt and try to get it free.

Thank you for your time and response trying to help me out, really appreciate it
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote