View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #95
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
scotty, nope. No problems. The cam chain started clicking pretty loud at 20K or so, and I solved that at 24K with thicker oil (20w-50-summer) after 3 valve checks. The brakes are getting a bit squishy, but I'm sure that's because the fluid is old. Soon I'll be upgrading to braided steel lines and then do a full brake rebuild to get all the old nasty gunk out... I'm also still on my original rear rotor (but it is .3mm over-used. I'll let it go to .5mm over and then replace it. That's what I did with the front, so I might as well do it with the rear. I hardly use the rear brake anyway... On my second set of sprockets, and my third chain. Hopefully this time around, I can maintain it better and get some more mileage out of it.

I have opened up the airbox, and it's jetted with 102 main jets, and that doesn't seem to have damaged anything. I've eliminated the kleen air system, so that's not being tested anymore.. :P I've also gone through a set of fork seals, but I think that's just cause I rode her a bit hard on a very rocky trail up in Wyoming for a hot second.

She's starting to get a hiccup at idle, but I'm thinking that's spark plugs needing a gap. I'll be checking that, valves, a carb tear down, tune and sync and general eye-balling all around here in about a month. I'll also be returning her to full-stock as far as the intake/exhaust goes, so I can get some base-line data for power/curve and such before I get crazy with the exhaust and headers. I'll also be doing the brakes when I lift her skirt for the valves. Surprisingly, the wheel bearings are still good, but I'm thinking they'll fade fast towards 50K... Oh yea, and the clutch is just fine.

So yea, not a whole lot to report. I know, an awful lot said for nothing really. I talk too much. The 250 is a solid machine, all around. I've taught about 6 people to ride on her, she's been down many times at low speed (Shogun frame sliders rock!), and I don't go particularly easy on her. I use the throttle when it's necessary, and have gotten quite comfortable with the throttle stop. Hope that helps.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote