View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #8
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
If you value new developments in motorcycles and want there to be more new bikes to ride in the future, you should be concerned.

Rejoicing in the loss of any segment of motorcycling is a bad thing. You may not like Harley's, but if Harley dies I guarantee Honda and Kawasaki won't be spending a lot of money on R+D for new bikes in the American market.

I think the recent market focus on a smaller displacement and more affordable bikes is a good thing. I think manufactures lost focus chasing the big bucks. But without more riders coming into the sport the manufactures won't spend R&D money on bikes. With the exception of Harley and maybe Ducati and Triumph, most of the bike manufactures also make other motor sports items, they can shift manufacturing to quads, side by sides, boat motors, jet skis, snow mobiles, ect.... and still make money. So if bike sales are down they'll focus on what is selling instead.

I don't think you should push motorcycling on anyone, but being a good ambassador for the sport, showing the value of riding a motorcycle and sharing your joy will keep motorcycling alive.

One of my favorite sayings is by Confucius.

If your plan is for one year plant rice
If your plan is for ten years plant trees
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children

I have 4 adult children. 3 of them ride.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.