View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I don't like the idea of recruiting new riders.

What I do instead is demystify it, riding is not about being "that guy" who goes 160mph down the freeway splitting lanes and generally being an asshole. Instead riding is about the freedom of being on two wheels and feeling the world around you. It's about being fully immersed in the moment content to be disconnected from the constant buzz of todays technological world.

Should they then choose to be interested I don't push, rather educate. I educate first about safety gear and it's importance, depending on their reception to this I may show them a few scars that I still got while wearing safety gear which would have been far worse without my gear. This to stress that safety is one of if not the most important parts of riding.

Then I'll continue to educate about different bike styles to find what kind of riding fits them, I'm currently talking to one person who wants to ride but doesn't want to go fast at all (60+mph). This person wants to ride to feel free and explore and is an avid mountain biker already so I recommended a cheap trails bike rather than a street bike. Everyone is different and there is a different type of riding to satisfy each of us.

When I come across more aggressive street riders I do try to recruit them to the track. This recruitment is for their personal safety as the track is a much safer place in which to open the throttle on any sportbike. I don't force them to continue riding at the track, but I do highly recommend that they try it out at least once to see what it's all about. I remember when it had to be done to myself, I'm not sure if I would still be around at all had Chris not given me the call to go to the track.