adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Good clear answers here, thank you. I want to stick with the visuals for a bit more though. There is a reason you are "fifty pencing" corners and over re-acting so we need to figure out why.

You say you are doing the 2-step from apex to exit pretty well. Let's take a look at a corner you are familiar with where you feel you still have a weak roll on. How soon are you picking up your exit rp? Are you already at the apex when you are looking to the exit? And what exactly are you using as an exit RP? The edge of the track, shape of the corner, or something in the distance? Do you have something to aim for after the "exit" of the corner?
I'm definitely looking for the exit before I hit the apex, but probably not early enough. My track day org sets up exit cones, so those are the RPs I use to start with.

I think I've been 50-pencing because I haven't been sure I could get the bike where I want it to be. Turn, assess, question, correct, assess, question, correct, rinse and repeat.... Every time I question I'm hesitating to roll it on.

After that coaching day I started thinking more about focusing and really trying to get to that apex cone with my first input. That helped. Think less, stop over-analyzing everything, calm the sensory input.

One corner I have in mind is Turn 9 at Palmer... this is the track in the video I posted earlier in this thread (the rider in that video is very fast). The turn in question appears at 1:27, 3:05 etc.....

It's a long, descending carousel with heavy camber. The apex is very late, as are a number of the big turns at that track (7, 9, 12). You can't see it until you're already in the turn, and you can't see the exit cone until you're about halfway around. I know intellectually that I can get on the throttle really early in this turn (because of the camber) but I can't help but wait... and I tend to over-turn the bike instead of letting it run to the outside. I lose a lot of time there.

Here's video of me at the same track, including a face-cam angle. You can't see my eyes, but my head isn't waving around looking at a bunch of different stuff. You can also hear how much maintenance throttle I'm using and how slow my roll-ons are.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote