View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2019, 04:16 AM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Palmer 8-4 and 8-5-19

Calling @csmith12 if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here!

It's been awhile since I have given an update....I am currently in Ware, MA roughly 10 minutes from Palmer Motorsports. I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with @adouglas, @Ducati999 and his wife, and many other awesome people.

It started out a bit nerve wracking for me, my heart was about to pound out of my chest while waiting in line for follow the leader with red group. I was behind the control rider for the first lap, and then got left behind on the second! I finished the lap by myself and came in. The guy handling pit out had seen what happened and was kind enough to set me up with another control rider for the next session.

I have to say it felt great to be able to sharpen my riding skills without having to worry about cars and stop signs/traffic lights, just ride and feel the bike and what I'm doing. Yes, I was very slow the first day getting used to the track and the uphill/downhill, but I progressively picked up my pace. My best decision was to participate in the evening track walk at the end of Sunday. Having Tony from TTD point out the line, and what to do and not do helped so much on Monday. I found I was doing some of the things he said not to do, and that I was already doing other things that he was saying we should do in other areas.

My main thing I had to work on monday was on a couple of the right hand curves (it's always right handers that are my issue ) I found that the steering was feeling much harder than it should be. My left arm was tensing up and fighting my right arm while countersteering. I had to consciously tell myself to loosen up the left arm while turning. It made those right curves it happened on a lil wobbly at first, but I got better with it.

I had a lot of fun, I now know what 75mph feels like (never been on the interstate, and speed limits in my area are super low) and also how great the lil ninja feels in the higher rpms. I had been used to keeping her around 8,000 on the street, no higher than 9. I didn't hit redline this weekend, but she was between 11 and 12,000 on the front straight in 4th gear. After taking Adouglas advice to keep her in third and see how it felt, the straight was the only time I shifted up past it. His advice helped a ton.

I am now officially a track addict. I don't care how long the drive is, I love Palmer and Tony's Track Days so much that I am going to try to hit it once a year.

pics and video to come!

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Last futzed with by Koala; August 6th, 2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: got my follow the leader sessions mixed up
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote