Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #104
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
The Pilot Street Radials are very good tires. Spending a little more on them compared to the IRCs is likely worth it, if you can get more life out of them. Some of that is luck (not getting nails), some of that is technique (riding gently), some of that is maintenance (keeping it inflated properly for every ride, and making sure to keep rear wheel/tire aligned as the chain stretches and the tire wears). If the stars align, you might get 15k miles or more out of that rear tire.

130/70 is the standard size made for this bike. It was literally designed by Michelin to perform well on the 250. 140/70 should fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
I need to be able to do it my self.. im sooooooo strapped for cash this month
Do what yourself? Remove the wheel from the bike? Mount the tire to the wheel and balance it? Replace the tire/wheel back onto the bike?

You might be able to find a shop locally that mounts tires to loose wheels pretty inexpensively. There are still shops near here that will do it for $25. You need to get the wheel off the bike, bring them the wheel & new tire, and they will mount/balance the new tire on the wheel (and dispose of the old tire). You then need to re-install the rear wheel back onto the bike.

Mounting the tire onto a wheel isn't trivial. It can be done very easily with the right tools, and it can be done somewhat less easily with lesser tools. No, it's not something that anyone can do themselves easily without some set of tools, strength, and knowledge to be able to mount the tire properly without damaging either the tire or wheel.

I can understand not wanting to pay ~$100 for a shop to uninstall/mount/balance/reinstall, but just getting the tire on the rim has always been worth it for me for them to do the fun part for $20 - $30. Some folks on this site who change their own tires more frequently have invested in tire changer machines. (search "no-mar" for a common brand). Even better than spending your own money for a tire changing machine, is finding a friend locally that may already have one.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.