Thread: 20w50?
View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Not that it would matter to me, but T6 isn't synthetic at all, it just passes the requirements that allow it to be classified as synthetic. That helps with the price.
Kinda.

It's a hydro-cracked Group III synthetic - which in the U.S. is allowed to be called synthetic.

Outside of the U.S. Group III oils are not allowed to be called synthetic.

It's not the best synthetic, but it certainly adequate for most cycle use and is has most of the traits of synthetic that you want - meaning it flows better at low temps and doesn't breakdown at high temps like conventional oil does.

Almost all of the "synthetic" automotive oils are Group III - standard Mobil 1 (Extended Performance are a few others are Group IV), Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State synthetic, etc.

T6 does shear-down to a low 40-grade/high 30-grade oil rather quickly in a cycle trans - which isn't really a problem unless it affects smooth shifting. It is noticeable in my SV650 after about 1000 mi, so I've been using Group IV or V cycle oil instead. Based on our experience with the little Ninja, T6 holds up fine.

It's a solid choice for most cycles IMO.

The next step up are Group IV PAOs and Group V Esters.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote