Thread: Start Issue
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2015, 02:46 PM   #1
BrianATX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Start Issue

I have attached a video showing what was occurring and is now occurring again. I have tested the battery and the levels are fine it does not drop below 12v on start. I also jumped the bike from a car battery and still experienced the same issue. At the end of the video I tore apart the bike and replaced the main gear for the starter (the one behind that magnetic rotor). That gear was missing about 7 teeth which it must have slowly been chipping away. I also replaced the smaller gear that went between the main gear and the starter. After replacing those two gears the bike started smoothly. However the next day it was back to doing the same thing as before which caused the sheared teeth on the gear. If the bike is warmed up it will start smoothly every time. It only appears to happen after the bike has been allowed to completely cool. I have also purchased a new used starter and will replace it shortly in hopes it may fix this issue.

Any advice on what is happening for this to occur and recommendations on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by BrianATX; August 3rd, 2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: YouTube Link
BrianATX is offline   Reply With Quote