View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #4
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24_cm7 View Post
Alright guys so my ninja 250r had its battery die because I didnt know it needed a battery tender when storing it. Long story short I charged it with a 2A car charger for 30 mins to raise my voltage from ~11.3 to 12.7 IIRC , just enough to start.

Anyways I know the battery charger wasnt the proper way to do it but it was only 30 mins. So Im riding my bike and I have a voltmeter installed with a digital clock and temp sensor , so while riding the bike rides okay at high 13's v but when I come to a stop, the bikes idle starts to drop a bit and I notice my voltage drop to ~11.7-11.9 and I am required to rev the bike to kick it up to 14 volts so it wont stall .

Would this sound more like a battery issue ? or another electrical issue?

I know with cars, that batterys are just for starting the car and the alternator wil provide the power, but im not entirely sure with bikes. It seems like the stator is working since its kicking hte voltage up when some gas but at idle, im assuming my battery isnt holding a charge?

BUT the bike is still capable of restarting it self .. well at least hte last time I checked...

Input?

thanks in advance!!
If you let the battery sit for too long when you stored it, its possible the battery is no longer holding a charge. This happened to my brother when he left for a 3 week long trip and left the key on, he had to get a new battery because it wouldn't even hold enough of a charge to start it.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote