View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2020, 11:51 PM   #1
nunia720
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Advice on cheap, like free Mods-for quicker acceleration~~Yes I searched !!!!

Hello All!!! New 2 forum but I would lurk when looking for answers on general maintenance kind of stuff. Appreciate the wealth of info on this site, seriously. Thank you everyone for the sharing.

Anyways, I have a 2002 and the first performance mod I've done was today, Zip tie on throttle cable. Love it so far. While doing that I pulled out the snorkel and air cleaner to see if sound and performance improved. I do like the sound but am unsure if it is advisable long term or if it does effect performance as I only drove for a few blocks. So suggestions on that would be awesome.

I am also considering the shimming of needles w/ washers. Pretty straight forward from what I can tell but I am looking for real world opinions from riders that have the same model as me. The DIY is in the 08-section, and while I do know it's the same principle I really am looking for opinions. It would be more than appreciated.

And while I do have your ear, (or eye rather hopefully) one last thing I'm wondering about is the infamous sprocket change. Again, I am looking for quicker take off w/out losing too much top speed as I do drive the interstate. I just want to get to the 100 or so miles and hour as fast as mechanically possible. I really do not care about mileage at all. Cost is the biggest concern.

Just a FYI, I usually ride with the Harley crowd, my roommate has a Sporster and we do all of our own maintenance and repairs when doable. As a matter of fact I just replaced the clutch on a friends 2004 Sportster 1200 after the "grenade plate" did indeed detonate. So I like to think I am a little bit mechanically inclined. And before those of you that are familiar ask, YES....we went with the extra plate kit from Barnette to eliminate that stupid design.

Any and all help~suggestions would be more than appreciated. If you would like me to document/record anything recommended that I decide to do I have absolutely no problem doing so. I would of done that w/the Zip tie but the OP covered all bases!!!! Again thanks!!!!

I do apologize for the long post so I will add this to hopefully get you all 2 smile a little.......I did mention I ride with the Harley crowd right? So picture this if you can......me on my little bright ass yellow stock 2002 Ninja250 Beast somewhere in the line of anywhere between 3-10 hardcore Harley riders. Sometimes leading even......but more often than not bringing up the rear so I can cover for the Outlaws that have no tag or license~~~Lol!! Moral of the story is.....2 wheels are 2 wheels, we are all brothers and sisters!!!
nunia720 is offline   Reply With Quote