View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:56 AM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I know, you and I have been though this before. When the guy with the smaller front sprocket shifts to 2nd and the other guy is still in 1st, who has the lower gear ratio? Once you're both staying near the peak HP rpm, the sprocket ratio becomes unimportant, since the overall ratio becomes, on the average, equal. In any particular gear, the small front sprocket has the advantage, but small front sprocket guy and big front sprocket guy do not shift to keep themselves in the same gear, they shift to stay near the HP peak.
I didn't think so.

You have a mechanical advantage with lower final gearing in all gears and it helps make accelerating easier for the engine all the time. I thought it was referred to as increased "thrust".

If two of the exact same cycles are at the drag strip, the one with the lower gearing is going to accelerate quicker. If that ratio is too low the cycle with the taller gearing may eventually pass it due to the other topping-out.

We need an Engineer to chime-in and set the record straight.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote