View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #18
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Quick update from holiday vacation to the coast:

Successfully unstuck the rings once, fixed the oil bypass while running (no more blue smoke), but one cylinder still smoked white smoke and leaked fuel, so heavily suspected one intake valve not seating properly. Because it was finals, and then the beginning of break the bike sat for about 2 weeks.

Ordered compression testing tools, and proceeded to do a compression test. Since I'd had problems in the past with compression sparkplug adapters getting stuck in the cylinder, I was very careful and gentle about screwing in the compression tester, and even set it, and then removed it to make sure it'd work. Ran my compression test on cylinder 1 (numbers came up as a range from 115-125psi, wayyyyy too low, and definitely showing the rings were stuck again as well as the improper seating valve), and then when I went to remove the tester to move to cylinder 2, the adapter didn't come with it. Tried to get it out for an hour, only to have the brass adapter completely shear off while UNSCREWING it. Weirdest and most aggravating mechanical problem I've ever run into. Was so pissed I decided to move on to other projects for a while.

Where I'm at basically is, when all these problems came to a head, I decided it was time to just pull the head of and do a top end overhaul. It'll be the most direct and honestly pain free method at this point, and it'll run better than ever afterwards.

As usual, when there's more to report, I'll post here.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote