View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2021, 08:52 PM   #1
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Name: Clark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

What's inside the stock air box?

Hey everyone, in my quest to get my bike running like it should, I'm on eBay looking for stock airboxes. I've found a few that look complete, but I can't tell what is necessary. I've seen some with and without the snorkel. Based on my research, it seems like it's only a noise reducer, so not too important. Regarding the filters inside, I can't tell if that metal mesh filter is necessary. I'm not sure what it's called, but I vaguely remember what it looked like when I had the airbox (the one I threw away like a dumbass lmao). What is the purpose of the mesh metal filter? Is that what is even is?

I think I figured it out after typing all this out, seems like a flame arrester?

Thanks!

P.S. Bonus question: The kleen air system is still installed. I see that a small hose connects the top of the engine to the bottom inlet on the kleen air valve. The rear facing port connects to the airbox. There's also a small vacuum line connected to the front side. There is one more port, and it's on top of the valve. Is it unused? I could not find any photos of anyone using that port.

Here's a photo, with the port circled in red. I assume it remains uncapped and unused?

Thanks kkim for the photo from your post!