View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:14 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I've followed all of Ken's podcasts over years and attended several of his instructional clinics. I think there's some cause-and-effects confusion similar to Pridmore's class in regards to weighting pegs. While they may think that cause of turning is weighting pegs, I suspect what's actually happening is that's just bracing action for rider's body and actual cause of turning is still counter-steering.

Code has already proven with numerous experiments using instrumented data-collection that weighting pegs and using body-english can somewhat turn bike, but it's much too small of effect to be useful. Primary and majority of turn-initiation is still counter-steering and nothing can dispute physics. I've tried weighting-pegs and using body-weight to force bike to lean and it stubbornly continues in straight line with barely noticeable change in direction.

Experiment with bicycles and guide by holding seat. Just leaning bike will cause countre-steering of fork due to trail. It's counter-steering that initiates turning and leaning into corner, not leaning itself. I've had bikes of all sorts come into shop with rusted-in-place headsets that prevented fork from turning. Common complaint from all owners was bike didn't want to turn. Without being able to countre-steer front-end, neither bicycle or motorbike will want to initiate turn and leaning.

Quote:
I've been in some classes with Ken where he refers to squeezing the tank as a poor technique, that while you want to use the outside leg in the corner you want to weight the hands as much as possible for braking (at least until tip in).
Bah, weight-on-hands may work initially, but as you build braking-force to maximum, that much weight on hands makes it difficult to have finesse with steering-inputs for tip-in. Brake-modulation and clutch-use for downshifting is difficult with all that weight on hands.

I've found that preparing body for turning while braking really helps deal with deceleration forces and keeping them off hands. Placing my outside-thigh against back of tank lets braking-forces actually help me get body to inside and head down by inside bar. Note that I do this after I initiate braking. Sliding body off to inside before braking may throw you off bike completely when you apply brakes!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.