View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I have thought about this a lot and did some research.

Air boxes have a very important job, it is to stabilize the air coming into the motor. Think about how chaotic it is inside each cylinder during each of the 4 strokes (suck, squeeze, bang, blow) and consider how hard it is for the motor to pull in a consistent volume of air to fill the cylinder. Throwing on pod filters on a drag bike makes a bit more sense because generally you are removing most of the fairings on really high end fast stuff. The speed of the bike makes it easy to fill that volume.

Consider your bike just putting around town, maybe on the highway, all the fairings on. How much air is actually getting to those pod filters? The general idea people have is "I want to give the air the most direct path to the carbs/throttle bodies.

Looking at MotoGP bikes, which most people consider the gold standard in the sport bike world, they do very little modifications to the air box and usually run the factory one.

These Things are designed using 3D CAD software with flow charts, ran on dyno's with several different variations, and tuned to ensure the most stable intake air volume is achieved.

When you see video's of people who say they cut the snorkel off, not to rag on anyone who has done it, but generally they have done a LOT of modification because the bike is already apart. ECU flash, air filter, jet kits, chain/sproket, 3/4 throttle, etc. At the end of it they bring up cutting the air box or removing it in some way, shape, or form.

If you REALLY want to know if mods are actually going to get you the performance you want from the bike I'd take Danno's advice he gave me.

BUY A WIDE BAND O2 SENSOR AND BRING IT TO THE DYNO.
This will net you hard and concrete evidence as to what the mod actually did to the bike, actually did to the AFR. Sure it is expensive but in the end you might end up spending a lot more money have have a bunch of parts sitting around you uninstall and are unhappy with.

Edit: I came across this channel called "The Workshop" and I am gonna keep pushing it for everyone to watch and learn from because the knowledge the guy has is extremely practical and super easy to follow. He is an engineer who LOVES bikes, loves every aspect of bikes, but hates stupid bs people say but can't back up with actual real and quantifiable numbers.
Here is a link to a great video on this topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vE0EwYiE4U
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote