View Single Post
Old July 31st, 2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Trinket
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Katrina

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

There wasn’t anything glaring in the carbs (that I could see, which isn’t saying much). The main and idle jets both had some slight “ethanol green” discoloration to them, but I didn’t see that any of the pinholes were clogged. I put carb cleaner spray through them, brushed them with a toothbrush, and shot them through with compressed air, then made sure I could see light through all the pinholes. Most of it looked pretty clean. I cleaned it all anyway.

I noticed two things: one, the caps to the vacuum valve chamber were missing some screws (missing 3/8 between the two carbs). And two, the gaskets for the bowls had junk gummed up around them, and one broke when I pulled it out. I’ve ordered replacement gaskets and screws.

The mixture screws also seemed really open, but I don’t know how big a deal that would be. I adjusted them to 2.5 turns from closed when I put them back.

Because of the broken gasket and missing screws I haven’t been able to put them back together and see if I fixed the issue. The bike also came with the air box removed so I need to get that sucker back in, which I hear is just an absolute joy to do.

I’ve already read about how great ducatiman is with the carbs! I’ll keep that as an option if I mess this up myself. I’m not entirely convinced the carbs are the issue, though it’s likely. They looked awfully clean.

Thanks for the welcome!
Trinket is offline   Reply With Quote