View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Traffic Fatalities Down Overall, Motorcycle Fatalities Up

NHTSA has released their numbers for 2008 and the good news is traffic fatalities fell 10% in 2008. The actual number was 37,261, and is the lowest since 1961. There has been a steady downward trend in the past couple years.

That's the good news. The bad news is motorcycle fatalities are up to 5,091 (14% of total deaths), and there has been a steady increase since 1997.

There are a lot of statistics available here. I don't have time to go through all of it right now, but one thing stuck out to me, and that is that by far the highest fatality rate happens on supersport bikes with engine size less than 1,000cc with riders less than 30 years old.

Also almost half of the incidents are single vehicle accidents, so this isn't all to blame on other drivers.

Not exactly sure what I was trying to get at, just thought this should be passed along. Also this shows that while many of us are following the ATGATT mentality, and riding safely, as we suspected there are still a lot of people that aren't.

Here are all the statistics from 2008, and the NHTSA report.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote