View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2018, 11:56 PM   #9
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasedLissik View Post
Hello everybody, I purchased a 2007 Ninja over the summer of 2017, I added a small mod that was quite easy which was going with the euro look for the rear lights. The bike ran pretty good for the most part, the problems that I have had with it was that the idle wasn’t great all the time but it was more towards start ups; and before the engine went caput the battery died after I wouldn’t ride for a week. So my main reason for the post really is because I want to rebuild the motor, and I don’t plan on going cheap.
The reason I have the motor went bad is that I am getting a pinging/knocking noise from the right side of the motor, I took it to a shop and they said it was coming from the timing chain and they said it would be not worth working on it,$$$. So that led me to suspect the rocker arms but when the valve cover was off I inspected the rockers and the chain and didn’t see anything. Only sign of wear was when I drained the oil so I can pull the motor, and that’s when I saw the copper and aluminum flakes. Yes I like to rev high and go a bit fast, so that’s Off the chest which left me to suspect that it could be a bearing failure in the lower-end.
Motor is out of the bike, and I want to tear it down and rebuild it but I can’t find where to buy bearing, any clues, buying old stuff is my last resort and I did read on a thread that some one suggested a big bore kit but that was 3-4yeArs ago. And I have links to some site of were I was going to get my stuff but I can post it upon request.
Pictures of the bike??
You might consider pulling the cam chain tensioner off, clean it and reinstall it if it doesn't have any unusual wear on any part. I bought my 2007 last March and that was one of the first things I did. Just be careful removing it. Back out the two cap screws 1/2 a turn at a time or it will cock and lock in place. When you reinstall it use Permatex locktight blue on the threads. I placed a light film of lithium grease on all the moving parts of mine. You shouldn't need a cam chain at 15K miles and you don't need to clean the chain. The metal particles in the oil is a concern. Pull the sump screen and see if there is a-lot of metal on the screen. If there is you may have a bearing or piston issue.

Bill