View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
GreasedLissik
ninjette.org member

Name: silentlyloud

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja eX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Yes - that would suggest toasted bearings, most likely the big-end rod bearings - which would mean the crank journals are most likely damaged as well.

That's where it gets expensive, and that's why most of the time it's a much more cost-effective route to pick-up a different engine. I sold one last summer with low miles (no carbs) for $250. You can't get very far with $250 when it comes to major rebuilds.

These bikes can be a dime-a-dozen, so you need to be careful how much you put into them if you don't want to lose a bunch of money when you sell it.
Thanks I am looking around for a motor both newer/old gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If you do decide to go through the engine that you have, this link is usually helpful.
http://www.rcramer.com/bikes/ex250/rebuild_notes.html

I've been down that road. Did a bunch of top end work. Spent more time and money than I should have. Engine swapping (and I even used a new gen engine, which added some extra work) was easier. If I hadn't been so damn lazy and busy, the swap would have been a single day event.

If you're familiar with the bike and prepared for the job, you can have it stripped and engine out within an hour or two.
Thanks Chone, I do happen to have a motor locally that is a 08-12 for 200$
If you had a thread of how you did that swap it might be useful, I On the fence still but leaning towards the rebuild of the pistons/walls are not damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
How to check the pump screen

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checking_the_oil_screen

Handy link https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Also have you done/checked the valve adjustment? As this is one of the most overlooked items of maintenance.
Thanks Ghost, I didn’t realize there is a screen on the bike I will go though it later today.
Though I did do the rocker arms 3-5k ago when I first got the bike for maintenance, and pull the carbs to make sure they were clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
You might consider pulling the cam chain tensioner off, clean it and reinstall it if it doesn't have any unusual wear on any part. I bought my 2007 last March and that was one of the first things I did. Just be careful removing it. Back out the two cap screws 1/2 a turn at a time or it will cock and lock in place. When you reinstall it use Permatex locktight blue on the threads. I placed a light film of lithium grease on all the moving parts of mine. You shouldn't need a cam chain at 15K miles and you don't need to clean the chain. The metal particles in the oil is a concern. Pull the sump screen and see if there is a-lot of metal on the screen. If there is you may have a bearing or piston issue.

Bill
I will be sure to check this when I am out there I might remove the clutch to see do a bit of investigation.

Thank you everyone home to have this going in 2-4weeks.
I do have a boroscope I sure for Work and will inspect the pistons and maybe down the chain channel if I go that far.
GreasedLissik is offline   Reply With Quote