View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #26
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i've heard a lot of varying opinions on what you should do if you find yourself gliding across pavement without a bike under you. some people say cross your arms so you dont break them if you start rolling, others say splay out so you don't start rolling in the first place. some people say grab your helmet and support your head to try to reduce neck injuries. others say stay relaxed and loose so when you hit something it is absorbed instead of deflected. so its got me pretty curious.

what do you do when you are crashing?
I wrote an article 6 or 7 years ago on crashing and on being physically fit, you can read it here: http://beta.motomom.ca/wp-content/up...ce-April05.pdf

I've had plenty of crashes, probably about 20-25 in total, the majority while racing and I'd have to say that trying to remain relaxed is the best thing you can do to prevent injury. I also think that physical fitness and awareness of your body really helps. What I mean by that is that certain sports, gymnastics, diving, tumbling, and martial arts can really help you "crash well." I have a black belt in Karate and did a lot of Aikido before that. We practice rolling, jumping and being hucked around so I feel that I have a great awareness of where my body is in the air. I can twist around or bend in ways that help me land better and in all those crashes I've only ever broken a collarbone, no other injuries. I was a gymnast when younger and think that any kind of training in those sports can help.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.