Old February 27th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #27
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I wrote an article 6 or 7 years ago on crashing and on being physically fit, you can read it here: http://beta.motomom.ca/wp-content/up...ce-April05.pdf

I've had plenty of crashes, probably about 20-25 in total, the majority while racing and I'd have to say that trying to remain relaxed is the best thing you can do to prevent injury. I also think that physical fitness and awareness of your body really helps. What I mean by that is that certain sports, gymnastics, diving, tumbling, and martial arts can really help you "crash well." I have a black belt in Karate and did a lot of Aikido before that. We practice rolling, jumping and being hucked around so I feel that I have a great awareness of where my body is in the air. I can twist around or bend in ways that help me land better and in all those crashes I've only ever broken a collarbone, no other injuries. I was a gymnast when younger and think that any kind of training in those sports can help.
That's good to know. In fact, I too have had a lot of practice rolling when I was younger. I never knew it would help so much.