View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2018, 01:40 PM   #41
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
At just 12 years old, I was allowed to ride it under strict supervision and very limited speed, area, etc.
Not sure of the model, but I'd guess from the mid or late 50's? Would be a collector bike today, properly restored.

The same neighbor had a bud with a Ducati single "scrambler", my first taste of Ducati. They worked on them in his garage. Ducatis were always reveled as special, even back then in the early 60's.

I remember discussions prior to buying..."how is it for parts"? He then ended up with a CB160...a screamer in its day, and a local supporting dealer close by. Years later, also my first legal street bike...but no pics. Till the late 70's-80's when cameras became more accessible.

Here's my '78 XS750 Yamaha, my first NEW bike. Worked at the dealer, the owner cut me a helluva deal. Again, a lousy old paper picture.
I remember the Honda CB160. In high school had a few guys had them. So, their mother's Hoover vacuum was missing the long chrome vacuum extension (and maybe grandma's too) and they found their way onto the CB160s in place of the O.E.M. muffler. Everything was fine until they fried their exhaust valves running the bikes with no jetting changes. That's the main reason I'm so sensitive about exhaust/carb jetting today. 1960s exhaust valves were not as robust as the valves we run today.

Bill