Old May 5th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Koala, when she took the test with the state, I found the Robbinsville, NC test site near Deals Gap. It was two years ago at the 2-stroke meet, and while we were there, she took the test. She was the only one that showed up, and a really nice cop administered it. She was just as nervous, and got a little confused at the instructions for one of the segments. She thought he asked her to signal right while shifting, which was quite a trick, since you signal with the same hand you operate the clutch with. The cop was very patient and saw that she misunderstood, and just clarified the instructions and let her try again. I was very glad we went to that test site and not a busy one in Raleigh.

I hope you and my daughter will find that your anxiety lessens as the years go by and you get more experience performing with the pressure on. It's never easy, but it should at least get a little easier.

It would be interesting to see an annual report from the MSF, to see just where the money goes. If 15 people show up for a course, and it's $200 each, that's $3,000, or $1,500 per day. I know there are motorcycles to buy and maintain, and instructors to pay, and when all the expenses are taken care of, there's probably nothing left, but I've never seen the numbers. The problem is that new, young riders that we want to get into the sport are going to have the most trouble coming up with a few hundred bucks for the course, and if they fail on the first try, it can really get difficult to afford a second course.
What they charge seems to vary by state. In mine it's just a fee of $50. That's not much at all, but they do get a high number of riders. For example, as of last week, all classes in my area were already booked through June. From a new rider standpoint, I don't understand why they would take the classes from the dealers and just have the state running it. That makes it harder to get in along with having lower quality classes now being the only ones available. Yeah, the dealers charged more but like I said, usually better instructors, better bikes, more time. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to try and find time to get my permit this week and then start practicing once Takara has been delivered to my place. still working on that part lol. I've thought about seeing how it goes and just taking the test at the BMV, but part of my track day requirement (thanks @csmith12 ) is to take the MSF.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.