View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2018, 01:34 AM   #26
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The Harley riders I come across, and this is not to say whether it's a representative sample or not, tend to be great riders until something happens that requires hard braking or quick evasive maneuvers. At that point they jam on the rear brake, locking the rear wheel, and hope for the best.

Not you, VaFish.
When I started riding there were no MSF courses. You got on the bike and rode. In 1978 I taught a girlfriend to ride her newly acquired Kaw 400 triple. She rode with me from upstate New York to Price Edward Island in New Brunswick Canada and back. Years after she sold her bike a friend offered to let her ride his Sportster. She did (and didn't like it). Learning to ride a bike is easy. Knowing what do do in an unexpected road situation is what's important. Stay out of heavy traffic until you ability to control the bike becomes reflexive. When you're in a tough situation on the road you don't have time to think about it - you must react with the correct response. Like I said your control of the bike has to be reflexive. If you trip and fall do you consciously think to place your hands and arms out in front of you to break your fall? Of course not. A previous comment about riding in an open parking lot is excellent. Find a local school with a large athletic field and ride when school is closed or on a school holiday. An athletic field is a-lot kinder to your bike if you fall than asphalt or concrete - and you too.

If you're lucky and have an experienced rider to coach you you don't need an MSF course. I've taught several riders to ride and I didn't get $0.01.

Bill