Old May 20th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
first ride :)

Don't worry, I won't spam the forum with details of every ride...maybe lol

I grabbed my neighbor and his son just so I would have someone with me in case I dropped Takara on myself and went for it. Jr walked next to me as I carefully walked her off the parking pad, down the gravel and into my street. They pretty much kept an eye out for cars as I did my thing.

Even on flat ground and with the Heartbreaker boots, I still can't even get on the balls of my feet on both sides, but that didn't prove to be an issue. Before starting her, I just practiced sliding my butt to either side back and forth putting one foot on the ground and getting used to how it felt. Then I started her up and quickly learned the friction zone. It's pretty far out on this bike! I was a little wobbly at first but was able to have my right foot on the peg and go along that way in the zone. I thought I stalled her once, but realized I somehow accidentally hit the emergency off switch I didn't feel comfortable turning yet so I went up one side of the street then hopped off and walked her to the other side, lather rinse repeat a couple times. They were walking next to me the whole time just in case.

After up and down each side once, I started giving her a little gas and getting both feet on the pegs doing around 7 to 10mph. It felt pretty good! Again, a couple wobbly moments but I was always able to easily get on the brake and stop, collect myself, and go again. The poor guys were running next to me by then and out of breath so after a few times up and down each side we walked her back up to her spot and locked her up.

It was a great first time for me, I'm pretty happy about it . Next time I'll try getting into 2nd gear and slow turns. I have to get used to how the gear shifter feels because I can't really feel it with my boot. That, and staying steady on the throttle not choppy.

Anxiety gone and having fun
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.