View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Thermo-Bob installation on a Ninja 250

Installed a Thermo-Bob/Bypass 195F kit on my 07 KLR650 two years ago because the KLR ran cold in the winter. After the Thermo-Bob installation, the KLR warms up faster and no longer runs cold in the winter. Going by the
KLR temp indicator gauge.

Suspected the 99 Ninja 250 of running cold, too. Checked the coolant at normal operating temp coming out of the upper radiator hose into the radiator and found it to be 170F during the summer.

The 99 Ninja 250 thermostat opens at 146F to 152F with full lift (open) at 176F

The 07 KLR 650 Thermostat opens at 157F to 162F with full lift at 185F (Hotter than the Ninja)

Got in touch with "Watt-Man" that developed the Thermo-Bob/Bypass 195F kit and put a kit together
for my Ninja 250.

Installed the kit this week and the Ninja warms up slightly faster. It runs slightly warmer about one temp gauge needle width warmer. The fuel economy is the same, it's probably my imagination, but it seems like it is more responsive in the mid RPM range. Took the Ninja for a 70 mile test ride at speeds up to 75MPH and 13,000 RPM and had no issues.

Expecting faster warm-ups with warmer operating temps during the winter.

Here is Watt-Man's Site:

http://www.shop.watt-man.com/

Here is a third party review of the Thermo-Bob/Bypass kit
(gives a better explanation about the Thermo-Bob/Bypass system than I can):

http://klrworld.com/index.php?option...193&Itemid=286

Thermo-Bob thermostat/bypass housing installed using original upper radiator hose
between old thermostat housing and radiator.

Bypass Tee installed using original lower radiator hose between lower radiator port and lower
coolant pipe.

Using sheet metal shear to remove original Kawasaki thermostat internal parts so the
original seal & housing could be used in the original thermostat housing to seal it,
but the Thermo-Bob has a 195F thermostat to control the Ninja's coolant temps in the future.

This shows the bypass hose routing from the lower bypass Tee to the Thermo-Bob housing.

exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote