View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #16
jc462
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 250 and R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Weight reduction is very often a gotta pay to play kind of thing.
I hear ya on that one - hence the ask on machining the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So sell the 250 and get a 300. It'll cost you less than trying to lighten the 250 enough to compete.

Unsprung weight/rotating mass reduction has a big effect, but look at cost/benefit. There's a lot of room for weight savings before you start carving up mission-critical components willy-nilly.

A smallest-possible lithium battery will save you a lot of weight... ripping the wiring harness apart and chucking all but the essentials, ditto. Rig a keyswitch eliminator and save a couple more pounds. And none of those cost anywhere near what dedicated ultralight race wheels do.
Thought about the 300 - probably would make more sense...problem is I don't have an abundance of sense sometimes.

Seriously - the 250 is really my sons bike that's why I am not willy-nilly and I check everything out before I make any move. I raced it this year in addition to my R6 to put it under some pressure and work out kinks. He does track days on it when he's not riding dirt or kart tracks.

This bike is a stepping stone for him if he decides to continue on.

I've done several things to the bike, e.g. harvested a lithium battery from one of my other race bikes, chain conversion etc...

Really poking around at options now that I'm in the off-season from racing.

I appreciate all of the responses and good advice - especially the motivating words folks offer around the rider weight reduction modification
jc462 is offline   Reply With Quote